Do you have problems because your puppy gets excited when he is on a leash and out on a walk with you? Do you know that you can cure this with proper leash training?
A walk with your dog can be enjoyable only if you have a well mannered and a well behaved dog at the end of that leash. Do not let your dog take you for a walk. Remember it is you who is taking the dog for a walk, so make sure it remains that way, by leash training your puppy to stop that constant pulling and tugging in all directions except in the one you want to go.
Walking is a healthy exercise, and walking with your dog is fitness for the two of you. Puppy leash training can be time consuming, so it needs a lot of patience and perseverance, but keep at it because the benefits out number the trouble taken by far.
Having said that, quick success can be had, if you follow the correct method of leash training. Start with having the right collar. Make sure it is not too tight, else the puppy who is wearing it is going to be agitated and if it is too loose it is going to slip through it and run free. Keep the lessons regular and of short durations to prevent the dog from getting distracted.
During leash training the use of a harness instead of a normal collar would ensure better control. Choke chains or choke collars can be used, but only during training sessions. A choke chain will effectively curb straining and pulling on the leash during training, but can be very dangerous to the dog if left on permanently.
It is important that the least amount of distraction is present while leash training a dog, so it would be advisable not to have children and other dogs around during the training sessions.
The most important rule in leash training is to establish the fact that you are the leader and that the dog has to follow you. Praise and rewards for appropriate behavior a stern voice supported by appropriate body language to reprimand when the correct thing is not done would establish this rather quickly.
Remember that physical punishment, shouting and screaming at the dog and any form of harshness should be avoided at all costs.
Training your dog to behave when walking on a leash gives you the freedom to take your dog with you where ever you go. Puppies by natural instinct do not like being put on a leash and taken for a walk, but it is something they learn to quite well if thought in the proper way.
Walks with your dog are meant to be an enjoyable experience for both you, so make sure it stays that way through proper puppy leash training.
Posted under Puppy Leash Training
This post was written by Noel DCosta on May 14, 2010
If you’d like to have your dog outside, have him go through leash training. Dogs venturing beyond their owner’s homes have to be leashed. Some think leash training is harsh but it’s an essential part of dog training. Here are a few great tricks for leash training your dog:
Also, read Dove Cresswell puppy & dog training online review, it is a great dog training guide
1. Be very patient. Dogs train at their individual pace. Your commitment and your dog’s breed play on your dog’s ability to learn new things. Beagles have short attention spans; they’re easily confused.Collies learn faster than Bichon Frises; they’re a more intelligent breed. Of course, your training needs to be firm and consistently by the book.If you fail to be consistent, dogs get confused and your training will last weeks longer.
2. Age matters. Younger dogs adjust better to a leash than adult dogs do. If they had not had a leash before, adult dogs need an adjustment period.
3. Have your dog heed the training. Regardless of your training style, your dog must be totally focused when training.If he has difficulty concentrating, train where there aren’t too many distractions. Like, if you’re outside, train at the back, not the front yard. Untrained dogs easily get distracted by passing cars or people. If your trainee is purchase discount medication ! generic zoloft price at walmart . approved pharmacy, price for zoloft without insurance. a hyperactive type, exercise him vigorously to tire him a little; he’s likely to pay attention better that way.
Have a look at Golden Retriever Training Guide to find out more on cipro vs bactrim cipro reviews training this breed.
Select Your Training Tool.
Besides the usual flat leash and buckle collar, you have several options as to the equipment that suits your training needs and goals. For instilling discipline in young puppies, the conventional flast leash is often enough. In rare generic for amoxil order amoxil amoxil no prescription cases, you might need any of these specialized training tools to be more effective:
1. Head Collar. This one is very similar a horse’s collar. It keeps you in gentle control of your dog with one loop around the neck, the other around the mouth. If you want to train your dog not to lounge, this is your best bet. Your dog’s mouth movements are unhampered; the collar spoils lounging, turning a forward thrust price of zithromax 500mg generic zithromax into a sideways motion.
2. Retractable leash. This leash has a push-button control that lets you take up slack easily. This is effective if you’d like your dog to have a wide berth. Your dog can wander off several feet from you but you retain control with this leash. However, if you’d like your dog to learn "heel", don’t let him get too far away from you.
3. Choke/Prong Collars. From this collar’s name, you might have guessed that this tool uses pain in training.Attached to the leash, this collar won’t let your dog stray. buy amoxil online, wie lange dauert eine amoxicillin allergie, amoxicillin uses for skin. You can tighten the collar to choke him a bit or jab him with spikes as a reminder not to pull. Keep in mind that you only want to remind your dog, not hurt him.
If you want to learn more, see Dog Leash Training Tips.
- English Mastiff – Beginning off leash obedience dog training | Mastiffs, Dogs, Dog Breeding, Dog Training
- Your Dog Training Guide » Dog Training Techniques
- Even First Time Dog Owners Can Train Their Own Dogs | My Pet Specialties
- Dog Training Fairfield Ct – dog training – dog training fairfield ct – About Dog Training
- Which Type Of Dog Collar Is Best For Your Dog | Dog Training Extreme
- Dog Training, Dog Trainers, "Dog Training" Collars, Business Opportunity, Franchise | Dog Training Review: Control Three Dogs « Sit Means Sit Dog Training
- Dog Training For Children | Home Alone Critter Care of Columbia County, Oregon
- Dog Leash Training the Easy and Gentle Way of Dog Leash Training | True To The Dog Training
- How on Earth Do You Get a Dog to Stop Barking? | Dog Training Savvy
- What are some good dog training books or DVD? | Easy Dog Training Now
- Can anyone recommend a good dog-training book? | Dog Training Extreme
- Labrador Retriever Dogs Blog » Blog Archive » Important Information Regarding Dog Training That Can Help you
- Dog Training | I Love Dogs Blog
- Follow Me Dog Training » Is your dog a Canine Good Citizen?
- Best Dog Training Collar Free Interrelated Info | Dog Training
- Obedience Training Resolves Bad Dog Behavior in Most Cases | Dog Training Savvy
- The Most Important Resource in Dog Training
- Dog Training, Dog Trainers, "Dog Training" Collars, Business Opportunity, Franchise | Leash Walking Your Dogs « Sit Means Sit Dog Training
- How to Keep Your Dog From Pulling At The Leash | How To Videos
- Dog Training Leash – Picking The Right One | ThePetWorld ‘s Blog
Posted under Puppy Leash Training
This post was written by Noel DCosta on February 28, 2010